The Lambeth Diabetes Team with their award and certificate for Team of the year Celebrating Desmond 2016
The Diabetes Intermediate Care Team was established in 2004 to champion the best care for people living with diabetes in Lambeth, Southeast London.
Key aims of the team:
- To support Lambeth GP practices to provide high quality diabetes care
- To empower local people to self-manage their condition
- To provide innovative diabetes care in community settings
- To integrate with secondary care diabetes services
The services we provide are described in detail on our website and include:
- Specialist community diabetes clinics in four locations across Lambeth
- Joint diabetes clinics in Lambeth GP practices
- Virtual diabetes clinics in GP practices
- Support to community nursing teams
- Insulin and GLP1 start groups
- Desmond and Food and Diabetes education groups
- STEPS (diabetes prevention programme)
- Professional education to primary care teams
The team won Team of the year in the Celebrating Desmond awards 2016 www.celebratingdesmond.org
In 2016 we were finalists in the QiC Diabetes care awards Prevention and Early Diagnosis category for our Steps to prevent diabetes course.
In 2014 the quality of diabetes care provided in Lambeth CCG was highlighted in the London Assembly Health Committee report:
“Blood sugar rush. Diabetes Time Bomb in London”
In 2013 the Lambeth Diabetes Intermediate Care Team were finalists in the HSJ/Nursing Times Care Integration Awards.
We were commended in the 2013 QiC Diabetes Care awards in the “Best cross-organisational partnership – reaching out beyond the traditional team” category (in partnership with Guy’s and St Thomas’s NHS Foundation Trust and King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust).